Thursday, May 28, 2009

It has been an interesting month...

...and sometimes life can surprise you.

Having mostly given up on getting onto the Museum course. I decided that I really needed to start focussing on some other area of second career training. It didn’t take my long to find a few options to follow up on. The long and short of it is that after a couple of weeks, a bunch of research, and some interviews, I had two offers of places at two different colleges.

One on a office admin/office assistant type course. I suspect that this one would also allow me to tap into the “hidden job market” at the end of it. The big question mark is whether I really want to spend the rest of my work life as the new version of a secretary. I could do it, and do it well. But would I really enjoy it? The second option is a graphics design course that includes web design. This later option was very, very, tempting and research shows a reasonable chance at employment afterwards. It would also be something that I feel I would enjoy doing.

Of course, as dictated by Murphy’s law, no sooner did I have both offers organised than Fleming came through with an offer of a place on the museum course. So now I have three choices. They come under: Museum Technician - I’d really love this (shame about the rate of pay and the job market); Graphics and web design - I’d like this (reasonable pay and job prospects); Office work - it’s a job (livable pay and excellent job prospects).

There are a lot of other logistic and financial considerations as well. It is good however, to have the choice of my future in my own hands, rather than being constrained by not having got onto the course I wanted.

I have some further job market research and thinking to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment